Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Maurice Sendak


Maurice Bernard Sendak
(born June 10, 1928)

The subject of today's
MMOB Daily Quote is an author and illustrator of children's books, most notably Where the Wild Things Are. I loved his work as a kid and thoroughly enjoyed the exhibit based on his work
at the Metreon in San Francisco with my kids when they were toddlers. I can still remember Danny being too scared to go in the firtst time.

Today's focus is timely given the eminent release of the
Where the Wild Things Are motion picture. Here's a short piece where Maurice talks about his work, childhood and inspirations to get us started on this overcast Wednesday here in the SF Bay Area.



And now, some quotes from Mr. Sendak.

“You cannot write for children They're much too complicated. You can only write books that are of interest to them.”

“I have been doodling with ink and watercolor on paper all my life. It's my way of stirring up my imagination to see what I find hidden in my head. I call the results dream pictures, fantasy sketches, and even brain-sharpening exercises.”

“There must be more to life than having everything”

“He was the strangest little bird I'd ever seen. He had fluttered into the world of the studios and, could he not be swatted dead, I knew he would manage. I had total faith in him.”


Of the film
“I don't know what to make of it, exactly, but I am so for it, ... I am in love with it. If Spike and Dave do not do this movie, now, I would just as soon not see any version of it ever get made.”

“What most people wanted was a reproduction of the book, because the book made money,”


Cheers! - Jason

No comments: