Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - M. C. Escher


Maurits Cornelis Escher (June 17, 1898 – March 27, 1972)

The subject of today's
MMOB Daily Quote is the producer of many impossible constructions. I have always been fascinated by Mr. Escher's realistic representations of things that can never be. And just when I think I have figured one of his works out, I find something new, stranger or more perplexing to keep me busy.

Thanks, Maurits, for making my life a little more psychedelic!

So, for those of you who are fascinated with Mr. Escher's work, here a short video on
How to Draw M.C. Escher's Impossible Cube


How To Draw M.C. Escher's Impossible Cube - For more amazing video clips, click here

And now, some quotes from Mr. Escher to get us going on this Wednesday morning.

"Drawing is deception."

"Originality is merely an illusion."

"Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?"

"He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder."

"I don't use drugs, my dreams are frightening enough."

"My work is a game, a very serious game."

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check."

"We adore chaos because we love to produce order."

"What I give form to in daylight is only one per cent of what I have seen in darkness."

"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days."

"So let us then try to climb the mountain, not by stepping on what is below us, but to pull us up at what is above us, for my part at the stars."

"To tell you the truth, I am rather perplexed by the concept of 'art'. What one person considers to be 'art' is often not 'art' to another. 'Beautiful' and 'ugly' are old-fashioned concepts that are seldom applied these days; perhaps justifiably, who knows? Something repulsive, which gives you a moral hangover, and hurts your ears or eyes, may well be art. Only 'kitsch' is not art - we're all agreed about that. Indeed, but what is 'kitsch'? If only I knew!"

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: