Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Johnny Weissmuller


Johnny Weissmuller (June 2, 1904 – January 20, 1984)

The subject of today's
MMOB Daily Quote was the 'Michael Phelps' of his day, winning 5 gold and 1 bronze Olympic swimming medals and setting sixty-seven world records, and later became an the sixth actor to portray Tarzan in the movies. It his signature Tarzan yell which is still synonymous with the character today.

Here's Weissmuller as the lead in the 1932 film
Tarzan the Ape Man. It's the scene where he meets Jane, played by Maureen O'Sullivan.



And here's the famous "Tarzan Call" that is uniquely Weissmuller




And now some quotes from Mr. Weissmuller to start this fine Tuesday morning.

"All the guys called the Olympic Village a high-class Boy Scout camp."

"Can you imagine - a blond Tarzan?"

"How can a guy climb trees, say 'Me Tarzan, You Jane', and make a million?"

"I could make good time because I was so long and skinny, shooting through the water like a stick."

"I have always been vitally interested in physical conditioning. I have long believed that athletic competition among people and nations should replace violence and wars."

"I learned to yodel pretty well. It took me a few months, but I eventually perfected it."

"I need freedom to be happy."

"I never lost a freestyle race. Never. Not even in the YMCA."

"No marriage can stand up under the strain of incessant association."

"Swimming gave me my start, but my pal Tarzan did the real work. He set me up nicely."

"The director sent for me for Tarzan. I climbed the tree and walked out on a limb. The next day I was told I was an actor. "

"The William Morris Agency handled me. In that business, you're only as good as your last picture."

"Throughout my career I swam for form. Speed came as a result of it."

"Treat your body well, and it'll see you through for many years."

"We didn't have the lane ropes, we had to get up higher in the water to avoid the little waves."

"When people don't know me any more or want my autograph, then I'll think about retiring."

"With but few exceptions, it is always the underdog who wins through sheer willpower."


Cheers! - Jason

No comments: