Sunday, June 21, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Al Hirschfeld


Albert Hirschfeld (June 21, 1903 – January 20, 2003)

The subject of today's
MMOB Daily Quote is the man who's distinctive artistic style set the standard for Hollywood caricature. If you've ever seen a Hirschfeld piece, you instantly recognize the simple, clean, and effective use of line to capture the essence of the subject. That's why he has become as The Lion King (a subtle nod to another Hollywood illustrated icon).

Here's a clip showing Mr. Hirschfeld creating a Paul Newman caricature. Great stuff!



And now, some quotes from the master of line art.

"Artists are just children who refuse to put down their crayons."

"Life isn't a science. We make it up as we go."

"You always feel the drawing you are working on is the best you've ever done... I am only interested in the present."

"When I was about fourteen, my mother took me to see a musical comedy-and that was my first experience in the theater and I was enchanted with it. It transported me to another world-you might say that I was stage-struck. I was mesmerized by the stage. "


Cheers! - Jason

No comments: