Friday, June 26, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Chris Isaak


Christopher Joseph "Chris" Isaak (born June 26, 1956)

The subject of today's
MMOB Daily Quote is the only man I know with both green lame and cut-mirror suits that he wears in his performances. I first "discovered" Chris Isaak when his music was used on a little watched TV series Private Eye. Cool show. Cooler music. I've been hooked ever since. Last time I saw him in person was in San Francisco in the early 1990s, but I encourage you to see him in person if you get a chance. He does a great show!

Here's Chris performing
Solitary Man to get us started on this Summer Friday.



And now, some quotes from Mr. Isaak.


"I talk to people who are musicians, and they go, 'Oh this is hell.' And I go, 'Are you kidding me? You never put tar paper on a roof, did ya?'"

“I'm talking to you right now, looking out at the ocean, it's a sunny day, waves are peeling off, my surfboard is in the back of my car... damn, I love it. I'm a songwriter. Pop singer. What a great job.”

"I think I'm in a really nice position, where I'm sure I could do another show if I wanted to do one, but right now the main thing in my mind is writing songs."

"One thing, when you're an actor, you finish something and then you have to worry about what the next gig is. When you're a musician, you can always write your own stuff, and I'm working on new stuff for a new album right now."

"The things that got me through grade school are helping me out later in life. It's like, I show up on time. If you buy a ticket to one of my shows, I'll show up. I'll be there. And if it says 10:00, I'll be on stage at 10:00."

“I've been gone on the road for the past three years; maybe I've been home for two or three weeks in a year. I literally live - it's like one of those old movies where they show a train, and pages of a calendar are peeling away like leaves, and then there's a picture of me with gray hair.”


Cheers! - Jason

No comments: