Sunday, May 31, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Clint Eastwood


Clinton "Clint" Eastwood, Jr. (born May 31, 1930)

Today's
MMOB Daily Quotee is an award winning American actor and director who is also a former mayor and friend to orangutangs everywhere.

Like all children of the 70s, I first encounted Clint in the Dirty Harry films and TV showings of his westerns with Sergio Leone. Great stuff for an adventurous young mind. But as great as his early work was I find he has evolved into a much more effective and point-making actor when he directs himself. That's why my three favorite Clint Eastwood films are actually recent: Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino. And his best work may be Mystic River, where he directed but didn't star, which was absolutely spellbinding.

Let's start with a little video of Clint in all his glory. This one shows clips from Gran Torino along with Clint talking about the movie and his lead role. Classic Eastwood!




And now, some quotes from Mr. Eastwood to get us going on this fine Sunday.

“Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.”

“I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.”

“This film cost $31 million. With that kind of money I could have invaded some country.”

“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

“I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.”

“My old drama coach used to say, 'Don't just do something, stand there.' Gary Cooper wasn't afraid to do nothing.”

“We boil at different degrees.”

"A good man always knows his limitations”

“If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.”

“You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?”

“Go ahead, make my day”

(Special thanks to David O'Keefe for creating the great charicature above and Edouard Poitiers, AKA Monkey-Jack, for the one below)

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: