Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Pete Townshend

Peter Dennis Blandford "Pete" Townshend (born 19 May 1945)

It's another double-dipper here on
The MMOB Daily Quote with our second installment focused on The Who founder and famous "windmill"ist Pete Townshend. While known for his skill at coaxing amazing sounds from his Rickenbacker, Fender and Gibson guitars he would often pull a "Mr. Hyde" and thoroughly destroy the guitar, and most of the rest of the equipment on stage, at the conclusion of a show. While I'm sure it was cathartic for Pete, likely it drove the costs of each concert to an entirely new level. Good thing the band was pulling in really large crowds for quite a long time.

But there's really only one reason to highlight Mr. Townshend. Here's a
YouTube clip showing why: The Who performing Baba O'Riley in concert.



And now that you are properly warmed up, here are some quotes to keep us going on this fine Tuesday.

“I don't know where I'm going I don't know what I need But I'll get to where I'm going to end up And that's all right by me”

“The fact of the matter is, I'm f**king brilliant. Not 'was' brilliant. 'Am' brilliant.”

“We tried not to age, but Time had its rage”

“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.”

“My autobiography now offers me the chance to lay down my life story and place recent events in proper context, ... I have had a long and lumbering life -- this book will take time.”

“Although I was well past my teenage troubles, our music was specifically designed to lubricate the passage from adolescence to adulthood.”

“We are musicians, entertainers. We can do it. We have the right tools. No worries.”

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: