Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Joe Louis

Joseph Louis Barrow (May 13, 1914 – April 12, 1981)

Joe Louis was much more than a boxer, but boy, was he a BOXER! He reined as the heavyweight boxing champ for 140 months from 1937 to 1949 and successfully defended is title 25 times. Aside from being widely dubbed the greatest heavyweight of all time, he is also considered to be the first nationwide African American hero in the U.S.

And to top it off, I understand he was a pretty nice guy to boot. Sounds like one of those "role models" we want our kids to find in the sports world today.

Here's a YouTube clip of Louis in his first fight with Max Schmeling on June 19, 1936.



So let's see what Mr. Louis had to say.

“I don't like money, actually, but it quiets my nerves.”

“Everybody wants to go heaven, but nobody wants to die.”

“Every man's got to figure to get beat sometime.”

“He can run but he can't hide.”

“Yeah, I'm scared. I'm scared I might kill Schmeling.”


Cheers! - Jason

No comments: