Sunday, May 17, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Eric Satie

Éric Alfred Leslie Satie (May 17, 1866 – July 1, 1925)

One of the best parts of doing regular quote posting from interesting people on their birthdays is that I sometimes come across someone I've never heard of. Take today's subject. Eric Satie was a French composer and pianist, and also a bit of an eccentric, colorful character in the early 20th century Parisian "avante-garde".

Here's a quick
YouTube video showing how to play one of Mr. Satie's best known works, Gymnopédie No. 1:



And here are a few Erik Satie quotes for this beautiful Sunday:

“Why attack God? He may be as miserable as we are”

“When I was young, I was told: 'You'll see, when you're fifty. I am fifty and I haven't seen a thing.”

“Before I compose a piece, I walk around it several times, accompanied by myself.”

“The musician is perhaps the most modest of animals, but he is also the proudest. It is he who invented the sublime art of ruining poetry.”


Cheers! - Jason

No comments: