Monday, May 25, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Robert Ludlum



Robert Ludlum (May 25, 1927 – March 12, 2001)


Today, the subject of
the MMOB Daily Quote is the creator of Jason Bourne and one of my favorite authors: Robert Ludlum.


I can still remember discovering my first, and still favorite, Ludlum novel -
The Chancellor Manuscript. I was a sophomore in high school and looking for a book to read. The school librarian, unfortunately I don't remember his name, asked if I like stories with a lot of action and intrigue along with quite a bit of bloodshed. Being a teenager, those certainly fit the bill, so he steered me to the first of many a thick novel filled with covert operators, political shenanigans and plot twists galore. I've "inhaled" everything the man has written over the years, even those that have been released posthumously over the last 8 years.

To jazz things up, here's the famous car chase from film version of The Bourne Identity


The Bourne Identity - Car Chase


Here are a few quotes from Mr. Ludlum to get us started on this fine
Memorial Day Monday:

“That gentleman will call the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I think they're scared of him. They're merely professional killers; he's in advertising!”

"A theater person should know what holds an audience and what does not."

"Characterization is integral to the theatrical experience. "

"Greater economic power will be in the hands of too few."

"I have always preferred conflict of individuals over the battle of extreme ideologies."

"I try as best I can to enter the realm of nuances of human behavior."

"Life is extremely complicated."

"I try as best I can to enter the realm of nuances of human behavior and alternatives of that behavior."

"The trawler plunged into the angry swells of the dark, furious sea like an awkward animal trying desperately to break out an impenetrable swamp. The waves rose to goliathan heights, crashing into the hull with the power of raw tonnage; the white sprays caught in the night sky cascaded downward over the deck under the force of the night wind. Everywhere there were the sounds of inanimate pain, wood straining against wood, ropes twisting, stretched to the breaking point. The animal was dying." -
The Bourne Identity
Opening paragraph

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: