Friday, May 1, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Arthur Wellesley

I am reading my first Richard Sharpe novel by Bernard Cornwell - well, I'm actually listening to the audiobook version on my iPod - and I'm finding that it's really enjoyable. I'd read some of Cornwell's other work, primarily The Saxon Stories and The Grail Quest, and since they are among the best historical fiction I've found I thought I'd give Sharpe's Fortress a try. So, what does that have to do with our MMOB Daily Quote? Well, one of the characters highlighted in the book - which focuses on the siege at Gawilghur, a previously impregnable fortress in India - is the notable Arthur Wellesley.

As an esteemed military leader, 1st Duke of Wellington and two-time Prime Minister of Britain, I think he qualifies as a meaningful historical figure. But let's see what he had to say:

“Being born in a stable does not make one a horse”

“Educate men without religion and you make of them but clever devils”

“Publish and be damned”

“To define it rudely but not ineptly, engineering is the art of doing that well with one dollar, which any bungler can do with two after a fashion.”

“The only thing I am afraid of is fear.”

“The whole art of war consists of guessing at what is on the other side of the hill”

“There are no manifestos like cannon and musketry”

“I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me.”


And a big thanks to The Brothers Brick for the great lego version of Sir Arthur.

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: