Friday, July 10, 2009

Running Log - Another 7 Miles in Novato

Today I ran the shorter version of the loop from my house. I returned on Atherton rather than along the marsh and through the cemetary. Felt pretty good all the way again today.

...and since you're probably wondering if I've used the wrong picture for today's log I'll tell you why I selected it. It's Charles Dickens, the British writer known for such works as A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield. I know, get to the point... Well, when I run I listen to audiobooks to keep me going. I'm currently reading Drood by Dan Simmons, which is a period piece set in 1860's London narrated by Wilkie Collins, a friend of Dickens and a notable author in his own right. Some of the critical interactions take place on long walks that Wilkie and Charles take in and around London. It's a great mechanism for setting up parts of the story, but apparently true that Dickens would spend 4-5 hours daily on walks. His pace was pretty impressive too - 4 miles an hour for 16-20 miles at a time. Makes my paltry hour or so every day seem like child's play.

Distance: 7 miles

Time: 70 minutes - mid-day

Weather: Sunny, warm

On the iPod: Drood by Dan Simmons

Cheers! - Jason


No comments: