Monday, March 9, 2009

What's Behind the Name?


I found an historic reference on Ye Olde English Sayings in an Ancestry.com Community recently regarding the origins of the name of my blog:

Mind your own beeswax came from the days when smallpox was a regular disfigurement. Fine ladies would fill in the pocks with beeswax. However when the weather was very warm the wax might melt. But it was not the thing to do for one lady to tell another that her makeup needed attention. Hence the sharp rebuke to "mind your own beeswax!"
The ubiquitous web resource Wikipedia idicates that it "is a common saying which asks for a respect of other people's privacy. It can mean "Stop meddling in what does not concern you," "Attend your own affairs", etc."

For me it's all about cultivating my own space, focusing on and writing about things that are meaningful to me, and presenting them in an interesting and ongoing fashion . Hopefully, there are others of you out there who appreciate what I'm cobbling together and find something that warrants your attention.

But I'm open to suggestions and recommendations. So let me know what you think. And if you find there are others out there (particularly those with interesting blogs) then let me know. I'm happy to highlight them and give them credit for "getting it."

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: