Thursday, March 26, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Robert Frost

Today's focus is the esteemed American poet Robert Frost

No American student can get very far in his or her education without coming face-to-face with Frost's work, especially explorations of roads less traveled and conversations about the value of fences in neighborly relations. President John F. Kennedy said of Frost, "He has bequeathed his nation a body of imperishable verse from which Americans will forever gain joy and understanding."

According to
Poets.org:
Frost drifted through a string of occupations after leaving school [Harvard], working as a teacher, cobbler, and editor of the Lawrence Sentinel. His first professional poem, "My Butterfly," was published on November 8, 1894, in the New York newspaper The Independent.
From there, he built an impressive body of work which has been recognized with four Pulitzer Prizes and garnished worldwide notoriety. Here are a few thoughts from Frost pulled from ThinkExist.com:

“The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.”

“There are two kinds of teachers: the kind that fill you with so much quail shot that you can't move, and the kind that just gives you a little prod behind and you jump to the skies.”

“There's nothing I'm afraid of like scared people”

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on.”

“Freedom lies in being bold.”

“The best way out is always through.”

“Forgive me my nonsense as I also forgive the nonsense of those who think they talk sense”

“I'm not a teacher, but an awakener”


Cheers! - Jason

No comments: