Monday, March 2, 2009

Embarking on a new journey...


Okay, so while I've heard all the Web 2.0 buzz I have not jumped in with both feet. Until now, I've limited my meandering to LindedIn as a resource for the new era professional. But as a self-professed writer and one of the millions of out-of-work Americans I've come to a crossroads when it's finally time for me to jump into the ether that is the blogosphere.

So why do I feel like Snoopy trying to write the first lines of his own novel? "It was a dark and stormy night..." ...nothing. Staring at a blank screen is a whole lot like pulling out a fresh sheet of lined paper and pencil world back in grade school. Nothing like the days when I had a report due and no clue behind what to put into in.

Back then at least I could count on coming up with 5-10 pages in an hour that would suffice to BS my way through just about any assignment.

So let me start with some basics and put out the intention that it can serve as an adequate framework for an ongoing, viable and interesting source of drivel for those foolish enough to stop by.

1. I like to read. I always have 2-3 books going at once so I'll have something to share as I wade myself through my list of "to read" material. What I pick up is mostly fantasy or general fiction and I have been following a few authors religiously: Steven Erikson, George R.R. Martin, Glen Cook, Tad Williams, Guy Gavriel Kay, Jeffrey Deaver, Bernard Cromwell, Patricia Cornwell and the late Robert Ludlum. Recently I've really enjoyed the works of Scott Lynch and Ian Cameron Esselmont. And, fortunately or not, I've taken the plunge into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time novels on audiobooks as a way to while away many hours running. So in the near future you can look forward to updates on "The Broken Window" by Jeffrey Deaver which I'm listening to via audiobook on my iPod; "Winterbirth" by Brian Ruckly; "Odinn's Child" Book 1 of the Heroes of the North Live On, Viking Trilogy by Tim Severin; and "The Dragon Reborn" Book 3 of the WOT by Robert Jordan, also on my iPod.

2. I'm running. I used to hate running when I was active in other sports, but I've found it's now the single best way for me to keep me in shape. And sane too, especially as I look for my next job, fight my inner demons, and wade out the rainy winter days before the Spring sun returns. This is the first year I've been able to keep up the running for over 6 months and I've even started tracking my mileage. My progress is now posted online so you can keep an eye of me. I need all the motivation I can get since since my February mileage was significantly down from my January high. I'll plan to use this forum as a way to share my running experiences and activity. Please help keep my efforts rolling by visiting my running log.

3. I'm a father of twin 11 year old boys. Well, at least for a few more weeks when they turn 12. They are an amazing pair, with interests as diverse as it gets and more personality than a moose with an afro, so I'll have plenty to share about Little League baseball and dance competitions and homework and pre-teen angst in the months and years to come.

4. My wife and I love movies. Historically, we've prided ourselves in having seen most of the movies out at any given time, and collect movie-going experiences like others do visits to upscale restaurants. While we see fewer movies now, we've added in family movie time with the boys so there will be plenty to talk about there. Oh, and we religiously follow Grey's Anatomy, Brothers & Sisters, Private Practice, The Amazing Race, Countdown and the Colbert Report along with a smattering of others. Not to mention the joy of DVDs of older shows. We recently discovered Prison Break and I'm hooked. Just started season 3 and it's almost as addicting as movie popcorn. Can't wait to see how Scofield gets out of SONA.

5. I have two dogs. The ultimately quirky Lucky who is mostly 8-year old Jack Russell Terrier and all momma's boy. And the newest edition is Ruby, a robust black lab with a lust for daily walks, sleeping by my feet while I work and eating the stuffing out of the sofa.

...and I'm sure there is so much more fodder that I haven't even thought about yet. I think I'm going to enjoy this blogging thing. I guess my biggest challenge is going to be taking the time to keep it up.

Drop me a line to let me know if it's working for you. If not, I should really get started on that novel I've been wanting to write...

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: