Thursday, March 5, 2009

The MMOB Daily Quote - Roger Zelazny

Roger Zelazny - Funny name, Great Writer.

When I really started reading on my own - you know, the stuff that was outside the things your parents recommended or that were dictated by your teacher - I had the pure joy of discovering Roger Zelazny. Something about the way he put words together really clicked with my imagination. From his seminal work, the Amber Chronicles, to his many award-winning shorter works and novels I absorbed everything. Especially the Amber stuff, which was the first series for which I was anxiously awaiting each new release. I guess I can thank Zelazny for my lifelong affliction with just having to have the latest novel from [insert a favorite author's name here]!

In my typical MMOB Daily Quote style, here is some background info on Roger from Wikipedia along with some quotes that resonate with me.

Roger Joseph Zelazny (May 13, 1937 – June 14, 1995) was an American writer of fantasy and science fiction short stories and novels. He won the Nebula award three times (out of 14 nominations) and the Hugo award six times (out of 14 nominations), including two Hugos for novels: the serialized novel ...And Call Me Conrad (1965; subsequently published under the title This Immortal, 1966) and the novel Lord of Light (1967).


Roger Zelazny Quotes from ThinkExist.com

“Life is full of doors that don't open when you knock, equally spaced amid those that open when you don't want them to”

“Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects”

“It is a pain in the ass waiting around for someone to try to kill you.”

“I don't know that I ever wanted greatness, on its own. It seems rather like wanting to be an engineer, rather than wanting to design something--or wanting to be a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip.”

“I enjoy slaughtering beasts, and I think of my relatives constantly.”

“While I had often said that I wanted to die in bed, what I really meant was that in my old age I wanted to be stepped on by an elephant while making love.”

“I sometimes think of us as a gang of mean little old ladies in a combination rest home and obstacle course.”

Cheers! - Jason

No comments: